Sent USDT to Coinbase Pro But Never Received

I sent USDT from MetaMask to my USDT address in coinbase Pro but it says it was sent by Binance Smart Chain and coinbase does not support that. Why did it send by Binance instead of erc-20? Is my money lost?

4 Likes

Hello and welcome to the MetaMask community,

From your description of the issue, you had your USDT on the Smart Chain. That is why you could send it on that chain. To deposit USDT on Coinbase on the Ethereum network, first you need to have your USDT on Ethereum network in your MetaMask wallet.

I suggest you contact Coinbase support in this regard. They should be able to help you. Make sure that the support site is legit. NEVER share your Secret Recovery Phrase and Private Key with anyone. NEVER enter them on any sites.

7 Likes

USDT exists on various chains (Ethereum, BSC, polygon, AVAX …), so when you transfer funds to an exchange, make sure that the exchange supports the chain you want to send to.
If coinbase does not support the BSC chain, you should not send assets from the BSC chain here. Specific to your current situation, you need to ask the customer service staff of coinbase to explain your situation and see if they can return the USDT to you.

Here is a article for your reference

4 Likes

Coinbase said they could not recover it.

1 Like

I had no idea it was on BSC.

1 Like

Then, it seems like you should wait and Coinbase may support USDT on the Smart Chain network sometime in the future. It is written in the following link: " if a previously unsupported ERC20 becomes available on Coinbase, any assets of that cryptocurrency that you previously transferred to your Coinbase account will automatically become accessible in that account."

Please remove the spaces inserted in the link.
https:// help.coinbase. com/en/coinbase/trading-and-funding/sending-or-receiving-cryptocurrency/unsupported-crypto-recovery

Always, before depositing any assets to an address make sure the address supports the asset on that network. This is the first step you need to check.

You can see in your MetaMask wallet on which network you have the assets as well. You can get more information about the networks from the following link.

https://metamask.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/sections/360012783512-Networks-and-Sidechains

5 Likes

I have only used MetaMask once I think so not very familiar with it. But I never saw anywhere that I needed to transfer the coins first to the ethereum Mainnet before sending to Coinbase. I am sure I’m not the only person using this new to the process. Never saw any clear instructions about this. So can MetaMask recover the coins? If not I guess no point in wasting more time with this.

2 Likes

I am sorry for what happened. However, still you can be hopeful to get it sometime in the future when Coinbase supports BNB (Smart Chain) network. Please refer to my previous response.
I suggest you to follow it up again with Coinbase to see if there is anyway to get your assets. I had heard before, they “may” charge the customer to help in this regard, as the network is not supported. Or you can wait until sometime in the future.

3 Likes

The token has been transferred to the coinbase system. I don’t think your token is completely lost.

As Maryam1 said, you still have chance to get it back.

4 Likes

’
As for this question: NO. There is no way for this. Because, first of all, you sent in to a Coinbase wallet. Moreover, even if you had it in your MetaMask wallet, MetaMask does NOT access to your funds at all (MetaMask is a non-custodial wallet) and only the users have the full control over their funds.

3 Likes

Thanks to all of you for the replies and help on this. What you said makes sense that it was sent to Coinbase but can’t be accessed because they don’t support BSC yet.

5 Likes

You are welcome. Hopefully, you can get it, at least when Coinbase will support the BNB network in the future.
Good Luck!

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.