Biometric authentication on the browser extension

Description:
Ability to use biometric authentication/system authentication (fingerprint, windows hello, system password, etc) for unlocking the MetaMask browser extension.

Purpose:
It is easier to tap a fingerprint sensor than to enter the password all the time, like on the mobile app.

Extension/Mobile/Both:
Extension

Images/Attacments:
None

As a hot wallet, there is no need to make it so complicated. If you are concerned about safety, just buy a trezor.

1 Like

Just to make it clearer, it is not due to security concerns, but rather, ease of use. As I mentioned in my first post, it is easier to touch a fingerprint sensor than to type in a password.

1 Like

Then MM needs to integrate the fingerprint verification calling program supported by all brand computers. The premise is that these programs are all open source. This is a big project.

3 Likes

Good idea, it’s fast and safe, and most importantly convenient. I have never had any problems with other applications where I use a fingerprint. :+1: :+1: :100:

1 Like

Not sure if this might work but MM can install a native messaging host that it can use for biometrics. This way the code for the same can be shipped with the extension

Just because Trezor/Ledger might be safer does not mean there is not need to improve MM safety.
I would even go to the extent of saying that MM with Windows Hello/Touch/Face ID would be safer than Ledger.
Not even speaking about ease of use here, which is a big con too.
I think overlooking this feature would be a huge mistake