Do I need a new account or a whole new wallet?

I have a wallet that was compromised and emptied :frowning: not a lot was taken but enough for me to learn a hard lesson.
I have changed my password and realize that I should not use that account for anything anymore … BUT is it possible to simply create a new “Account” and will it be secured?
OR is there something much more complex that I need to do in order to continue using MM.

Secondary question…I read the forums and think I know the answer but just looking for confirmation. I had a few NFTs, .crypto domain and a Uniswap Pool position in that same account that I guess the person didn’t want so left. I have no more ETH left in order move them and don’t want to move ETH into it in case the scammer takes it. I guess the best thing is to move them into the new “Account” assuming my question above is to create a new account and that the new account will be secure?

1 Like

hi @tracyselena ,sorry to hear that.

BUT is it possible to simply create a new “Account” and will it be secured?
OR is there something much more complex that I need to do in order to continue using MM.

There are many reasons why a wallet may be compromised.
If your seed phrase is leaked, your newly added address is also unsafe.
If the private key is leaked or for other reasons, the newly added address may be safe. Even so, you do not need to add a new address, but should reinstall MetaMask and create a new wallet entirely with new seed phrase. For convenience, you can install MetaMask in a new browser.

I have no more ETH left in order move them and don’t want to move ETH into it in case the scammer takes it. I guess the best thing is to move them into the new “Account” assuming my question above is to create a new account and that the new account will be secure?

To transfer NFT to a new wallet, you will need eth. Here are my personal suggestions:

1. Create a new wallet according to the method I mentioned above.
  2. Transfer a small amount of eth into the stolen wallet, which is enough for you to remove your uniswap position and complete the asset transfer.
  3. Transfer your assets to a new secure wallet as soon as possible.

If you encounter a sweeper robot and it automatically clears your eth, the above method is also invalid, because you can never operate faster than robot. So hopefully this isn’t the case for you.

You can also contact the support team as below for help and advice.

5 Likes

Thank you so much!!! I will give those suggestions a try. I appreciate your time in replying to me. You’re a doll!

1 Like

One question…I was able to remove and install a new instance of MM on a separate browser (I had it installed on both Brave and Chrome but only used Brave) …so I went to Chrome…removed it and reinstalled it. It prompted me to setup a new wallet which I did. BUT I do prefer to use Brave. Is it not possible to switch between my compromised account and the new secure account on the same browser? Or can you only have one instance linked to a browser at one time?

Is it not possible to switch between my compromised account and the new secure account on the same browser? Or can you only have one instance linked to a browser at one time?

You can do this.

1. Export the private key of wallet A
    Account details - show private key. please copy and back it up, do not disclose it to others.
  2. If you want to add A to the wallet B you are using,
    Add account - Import account, then paste the private key of wallet A.

You can import all addresses in the same browser.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.