Issue with tokens - gone

Hi @bpomeroy!

Sorry to hear that all you tried didn’t work.

Do you see your funds that are missing on MetaMask on etherscan ? You would just need to put your public adresse in the search :mag: box.
https://etherscan.io/

If you do, but you can’t manage to make it appear in MetaMask, you may consider to use another wallet, like My Ethereum Wallet, to see, if you can manage to make it appear there.
https://www.myetherwallet.com/

If your funds are on the blockchain (you can verify it using etherscan) and you have the seed phrase associated, do not worry, you will find the way to use/move them. :slightly_smiling_face:

By the way, your funds are not at MM, but at blockchain. MM (or any other ERC-20 wallets) just allow you to interact with the blockchain in a easy way, playing just a “skin” role.

5 Likes

Hi @bpomeroy ,

We wouldn’t want someone to write off any amount of value. We are here to help, if you’d please answer the questions I asked (what happened when you went through support link that generally connects to an agent and what your ticket # is), as well as the other questions asked after that, we can all try to help you further.

Also try everything @MomOfTwins has posted, it’s really great detail (thank you @MomOfTwins :fox_face:)

5 Likes

Support wasn’t able to do anything but tell that my coins are somewhere in the ethernet. When I tried going there, I couldn’t even log in.

Spent another hour trying various addresses, but again no luck. I can’t even contact them because the error messages tell me I can’t

Log in because I haven’t previously contacted support! So any guidance on that would certainly be appreciated.

~WRD0002.jpg

3 Likes

Hi @bpomeroy,

Thanks for the response! So that I’m not putting too much information out there in one post, I’m just going to ask one question each time and wait for your response.

When you downloaded the new wallet again, which option did you choose on this screen below?

4 Likes

I think I chose NO option

2 Likes

Got it, thanks!

When you chose this option, did you type in 12 words you had previously stored? (not new ones but the original 12 words given with your original wallet. do not provide them, just asking the process).

3 Likes

No – never received the seed phrase, I’ll go to Settings/security to see what comes up.

~WRD0002.jpg

1 Like

Hi @bpomeroy ,

If you chose the ‘No, I already have a Secret Recovery Phrase’ option, you would have needed to input your 12 word secret recovery phrase you received when you first set up your MetaMask wallet. Initially the first time you set up a wallet (the wallet where you have your USDT, ETH, etc), you are given a 12 word secret recovery phrase. They look something like below:

Both MetaMask extension and mobile prompt users to write down the secret recovery phrase. There are several warning messages and prompts a user has to click through that repeat to write down your secret recovery phrase.

The only way to access your wallet after re-installing is to know what your original 12 word secret recovery phrase was. Do you have these somewhere? (again, do not share them here)

5 Likes

YES I DO! I have both seed phrases -original and new. I couldn’t figure out how to use this to recover my account.

~WRD0002.jpg

1 Like

Hi @bpomeroy , great!!!

Please lock/sign out of MetaMask on the device you use it on. When you lock the account (or sign out) there should be a screen that looks like below, click on the ‘Forgot Password’ link -

This should talk you to a page that wants you to input your 12 word secret recovery. Input the 12 words Secret Recovery Phrase you received with your original first wallet here. Please note, these words should be inputted all lower case. If you are on mobile, you have to put a space between each word. If you are on desktop extension it will automatically separate the words for you. After you input the twelve words, it will also add you to put in a new password.

Let us know how that goes once you do this.

Please note, NOBODY, including support, will ever ask for your Secret Recovery Phrase. Never share those words with anyone,. Also, never input these words into any pop-up window or website asking you to input, even if it looks legit or from MetaMask. The ONLY time MetaMask will ever ask for your Secret Recovery Phrase (SRP) is when you are restoring your wallet or downloading the app and using it on a new device.

2 Likes

I did as instructed but the original seed phrase took me back to my current account. So entered the new seed and got the same result.

What did I do wrong?

2 Likes

sorry for so much inconvenience.

If you remember your wallet address, it’s easy. as MomOfTwins said, enter your own address to view your tokens.

in addition, have you ever created another wallets in the same seed phrase?
If not, ignore what I said. no need to look at the following method.
If so, you can restore other wallets by clicking Create Account. Then see if your funds are in these wallets.
unknown

3 Likes

Hi @bpomeroy ,

Each 12 word Secret Recovery Phrase would restore different accounts, they both could not restore the same base account numbers.

Would you please confirm you’re looking at the account number section (circled/highlighted below in screenshot) when comparing the accounts your two different Secret Recovery Phrase restored?

To confirm, you’re entering your 12 word secret recovery phrase to your original account in a section that looks like below (if on desktop extension, it looks different on mobile).

Thanks!

3 Likes

This is terribly frustrating. I followed the instructions, but msg tells me I’m importing a duplicate account. I’ve tried entering both seed phrases, but got nothing. What am I doing wrong?

~WRD0002.jpg

2 Likes

KBeeTheCapybara said to get back to MM Support. I have both the original seed phrase and the new one, as well as Private keys etc. Still not sure how to locate on ethernet

~WRD0002.jpg

3 Likes

Hi @bpomeroy I took out the ticket number of your above message so that isn’t on the forum but yes, please respond to them there.

Help Desk is going to walk you through how to install the wallet, input 1 secret recovery phrase (I’d recommend starting with the one you think is your original), checking accounts for balances, and then walk you through how to reset the wallet so you can input the other secret recovery phrase.

Please share with Help Desk that you have both secret recovery phrases and private keys. They will not ask for you to provide to them your secret recovery phrase or private keys, do not share these ever.

4 Likes

@bpomeroy 10000$ gone :sneezing_face: you use a PC?
Try to find the old MetaMask vault data:

2 Likes

Use a PC. Where would I find the old MM data? I have both the new and old seed phrases, Priv/Pub keys, etc. but no one yet has been able to find my money.

2 Likes

@bpomeroy that’s weird :thinking: what browser are you using?

If you use google chrome :open_file_folder: you must find folder
C:\Users\USER_NAME\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Local Extension Settings\nkbihfbeogaeaoehlefnkodbefgpgknn

and look for old .ldb files there :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I’m too frustrated to keep trying to locate my missing tokens. Based on community chats, this seems to be an ongoing issue with

MetaMask, as many others have reported the same thing – and they all blame MM for this problem. Unless someone can find

My tokens, I’ll take the ~ $11,000 in losses and will warn others about this, and your inability to correct the error.

2 Likes