Transaction issue - Sent to a different wallet

Hi Support team.

I had to transfer some tokens to 2 different addresses (rewards for a competition).

The transaction #1 (with nonce 292) to send 315,000 DEXTF to 0x70f6c0914cbd424bca340216670aaf4aa447ce21 (address #1) was completed correctly:
0xb02da223b202d4ba2b729608d079c4c21a36e00f40621818eca847af44292f10

The transaction #2 (with nonce 293) to send 150,000 DEXTF to 0xB60d9F0D618Ff3514b9BC937125116036087fb47 (address #2) was completed, but Metamask passed the wrong address (it used address #1 instead of #2):
0x2afce385a74969c633d409542fd460de3730a0c77465f4eeada1262aa1c6c37f

For transaction #2 the Metamask Activity list shows the correct address #2 that I entered, but in etherscan the transaction #2 shows address #1 as receiver.

As a result the tokens have been sent to the wrong address.

How did Metamask mix up the addresses?

Thanks for your help.

3 Likes

I want to add that this exact error also happened to me once, the bug occurred when I sent 2 transactions one after each other but I did it fast.

2 Likes

If this is confirmed, it’s a bug to solve asap because MM is sending tokens to wrong addresses

2 Likes

Hello @dextf and welcome to MetaMask community!

Give me some time to ask about the issue.

Thank you for sharing.

3 Likes

Hey @dextf, can you tell me what version of MetaMask you were using when this happened? Was it on the browser extension or app?

2 Likes

@dextf

Please also try to submit a ticket to our support team about it at https://metamask.zendesk.com/hc/en-us , by clicking “Start a Conversation”
support

Hopefully this will accelerate the process of finding the best solution so this won’t happen again. The state logs provided to Helpdesk support can further help with that, as they shouldn’t be shared publicly on the forums here. Does that sound good for you?

4 Likes

Browser plugin v. 10.14.7 (Firefox).

Ok, I will also open a ticket with the support team.

4 Likes

I’ve opened a ticket with the support team and will share the outcome here (as it might be of interest to other community members)

4 Likes

Thanks. Will let you know if there are any updates on my side as well.

3 Likes

Any updade from your side?

3 Likes

Hello @dextf , welcome to MetaMask support,

As the case may be , you may have clippers on your computer that swaps addresses when you copy your wallet address , it’s a virus . You may want to scan your computer for possible malware’s first to be sure that it’s clean . Then check for next solution is that doesn’t work .

3 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion. I am on a Mac, and I could not find any reference to clipper malwares on Mac OS, nevertheless I scanned the laptop and it is clean.

Also worth noting that the funds have been sent to a known address (address #1 of transaction #1 - refer to description).

3 Likes

Okay , I understand now . It’s good to know you have opened a support ticket already . If there is any more information from my side I will let you know as well .

2 Likes

The issue has been taken care of already. Make sure you always have the last version of MetaMask.

Thanks again for bringing it to our attention.

5 Likes

Can I have the issue id please? In which version has it been solved?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.