Trying to migrate from one computer to another, tokens dont reapear after entering provate key

Hello as the title says , I am trying to migrate from computer to another , entering my private key onto my new computer the tokens do not re-appear ?? are we supposed to re-enter them all ?
I thought this would migrate everything. Is there another step ?

I cant really good info on the migration process, I would have expected it to be almost seamless

If you can offer any help ? I imagine having rebuild every single token on every network again ?

I forgot to say that the main etherium amount appears but none of the tokens do

MetaMask only automatically detects tokens in some circumstances. If the token isn’t automatically detected, you may need to add it manually.

3 Likes

Thats pretty much all of them. Most missing , having to manually add including multiple networks .
I thought MetaMask would have had a good process to do this after many years in operation, seems not.

1 Like

You’re supposed to use your seed phrase and it’ll add all addresses generated from it. You would only have to import private keys from individual addresses if they aren’t generated from that specific seed phrase.

2 Likes

Thanks but I did that and then tried the private key, it built back some networks but alot of the tokens were missing and I had to add back some networks manually and alot of tokens. I found there is a setting that is not part of the article you posted aswell “advance detection of tokens” that help somewhat but I still had to add a bunch in., so quite poor really , it take me some to see what exactly is missing or needs to be added.

Those settings are saved locally, so I think it would be possible to copy the settings over to the new device. Not entirely sure though as I haven’t tried myself.

1 Like

Yeh theres a Backup and restore file but that had no effect really. It seems to be upload your seed phrase , then followed by private key and making sure that setting is set, then add the networks and tokens that are missing. So its quite a bit of work and checking if you have multiple netwokrs / tokens and accounts.

Hmm, interesting. I can figure out if there are other ways if you still have a lot of work to do.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.