Would not an activeTab permission be enough?

In your add-on description for your Firefox add-on, you say:

Because it adds functionality to the normal browser context, MetaMask requires the permission to read and write to any webpage.

However, AFAIK the add-on only allows the current website (i.e. current tab) to interact with the browser extension.

See this guide for more information:
extensionworkshop .com/documentation/develop/request-the-right-permissions/#avoid-unnecessary-permissions

Especially:

The alternative is to request "activeTab" . This permission provides your extension with the same capabilities but only for the active tab and only when run from the extension’s UI (that is from a toolbar button, navigation bar button, context menu, or shortcut key).

Importantly, "activeTab" doesn’t result in the display of a permissions message when installing the extension.

IMHO this permission is way better – https:// developer.mozilla .org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/Add-ons/WebExtensions/manifest.json/permissions#activetab_permission) and builds trust in your users.
And it’s always good to use only the required permissions/as few as possible.

At least as an alternative – even if I had to click on an extra button or so – I would very much like it.

Edit: Due to Discourse… arg… I cannot include links in my post so I destroyed them. Feel free to fix them, so they can actually link properly.