Change a known password (not reset!)

Why isn’t there an easy way to change your password in Metamask without needing to enter your 12-word Secret Recovery Phrase and re-adding every imported account? (Doing that is cumbersome and seems to often lead to problems of people not finding back all their coins, based on various reported issues I’m reading about here).

Wouldn’t it be a good practice for users to regularly change their password? (I’m talking about changing a known password, not “resetting” as when the user has forgotten it).

Or is it the case that the Secret Recovery Phrase (and therefore all private keys) are linked to the password so that it can’t be changed without creating a new Secret Recovery Phrase and private keys and addresses?

I absolutely agree and is extremely surprised that you can’t just change the password in the settings. Why can this be done in the mobile application, but in the browser version you can’t? This is an extremely necessary function and please add it as soon as possible.

2 Likes

It is absolutely stupid to use two different passwords for one wallet, not to be able to synchronize the wallet on different browsers and with the mobile application. I changed my password from the mobile app thinking it would sync with the browser app on my computer. But that didn’t happen. There is no option to change the password on the computer. There are many things that are not thought out and are unpleasant for the user. I hope the developers of the wallet will take all this into account and make the wallet more user-friendly, for which all owners of this wallet will be grateful to them.

Hey @Harkata, sorry to hear about the frustrations.

The password for MetaMask is simply used as a lock/unlock feature for that specific instance of MetaMask on the device you have it downloaded. Here is more information on our Knowledge Base:

And here is information on our Knowledge Base to reset your password:

3 Likes

And when I press the button “Forgot password?”, can I create another password that will be more secure? This is also the reason I am looking for a way to change my extension password on my computer. I have already created a secure password on my mobile phone. :slight_smile: Thanks and Greetings!!

Yes, you click “Forgot Password?”, enter your Secret Recovery Phrase, and then create another password :slight_smile:

3 Likes