Fake_Phishing flagged address

Hi !

I have noticed just today that one of my addresses has been flagged “Fake_Phishing” on Etherscan. It is one of the public addresses I only used to retrieve my stuck transaction from the Mempool, only 1 transaction happen on this address and it was the “rescue evet”.

This results now in my Etherscan blockchain history showing that one of my wallets will be flagged by this notice which is not true. I am assuming I am going to have issues if I transfer my Eth tokens to any exchange platforms.
Could someone please help me out ? How could this happen that the address that was just used once ( clear public history) ended up flagged as “scammer” address?

3 Likes

You can reach out to Etherscan directly here if you wish: Etherscan Contact Us Page
Perhaps they will be able to help you somehow.

4 Likes

Hi 2Cu4, thank you for your advice, I have just contacted them as well!

3 Likes

My pleasure! Hopefully they are able to assist you :smiley:

4 Likes

Wow guys, I got a response. I am sharing the response with you because I could have easily gotten scammed - I usually always check just last 4 digits of my wallet when sending funds out !

Scammers generate an Ethereum address similar to the ETH address of your exchange account by mimicking the first and last (commonly 5) characters. They then initiate a smart contract transaction usually with 0-value to this scam address from your wallet. Recently, we discovered that this scam transaction can also have a value (commonly the same as your previous transaction), it doesn’t use a real ERC20 token (with value), but only a fake one (without value) that uses the same symbol, which should confuse the potential victim targeted by this scam. This is actually new for us and the reason is obvious, we (and also other services such as blockchain explorer Etherscan. io) started to label the zero transactions and warn users that it can be a scam transaction. If the transaction has value, it is not labeled.

Please, keep in mind that address poisoning scams continue to evolve. In addition to sending fake 0-value transactions, scammers also send fake tokens with “values” (usually the same as your last legit transaction) that appear to have tickers mimicking the real ERC20 token (for example USDT). These fake tokens are of course worthless as they are created only for the purpose of the scam. Your funds are safe as long as you don’t actually send any tokens to the scammer’s address.

Blockquote

3 Likes

Oh, I’m sorry, I’ll definitely be more careful from now on

1 Like