Had to reinstall windows, lost seed phrase

I know this happens a lot, but the classic case of losing seed phrase has happened to me when I reinstalled windows. I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10, and forgot to write down my seed phrase which is obviously my own fault.

Good news is I still have access to all old Windows files. I tried to follow Randy’s guide on using the vault decryptor, but I’m having a bit of trouble with that as I do not appear to have the same 000003 file that he demonstrates. Instead I have numerous other files, one of them being a file named 0000005. I used Atom’s search feature to find the word “vault” (I also have other files named 0000009 etc but none of them return a search for “vault”). The data I found following the word “vault” is similar to what Randy’s guide shows, but not exactly the same, and therefore I do not know what information I’m supposed to be putting into the decryptor. I’m wondering if this is because I was using Chrome on Windows 7 before (now using 10) and Randy has specified that the steps for different OS may “slightly differ” Or maybe I just don’t have the correct files to get back into my Metamask account, which would be a shame. I’m also wondering If I can use the chrome data I possess to basically emulate the same Chrome I had on my previous Windows, where Metamask only required my passcode and not the seed phrase.

Sorry for the wall of text and I hope this all makes sense. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated!

1 Like

Hello there, sorry for the situation you are going through.

As this is something more private than other answers in this forum, please create a support ticket https://support.metamask.io and post the case number here so I can help you there.

Buenas Randy

Thanks a lot

Hi , can you help me to restore my existing account? I have the seed phrase but i lost the private key which is required to connect to my account. I got already a support ticket number.

Hi @randy, I have a similar issue. I updated windows 10 to 11 but I don’t have access to my old files. I need to recover my account, could you please help me?