How to export hard wallet account?

I have my normal PC (macos), and then I have Selenium/Chrome running in a Docker container (linux). The idea is to build a script to scrape data off DeFi sites, which obviously require MetaMask connection. I have MetaMask extension installed in this setup, but the problem is how to get the accounts over from my PC.

• It’s an imported hardware wallet account, so there are no seed or recovery phrase to export.
  • Docker installation runs on a machine where I cannot manually import hardware wallet again by connecting USB - I do not have physical access.
  • I have tried to copy extension directory nkbihfbeogaeaoehlefnkodbefgpgknn over to the Docker setup, but that causes Chrome to say MetaMask extension is corrupted. Repair has the same effect as uninstalling/reinstalling (wiped clean).

I do not know what causes MetaMask extension to appear corrupted on Chrome by copying the extension folder. Maybe it could work by just copying the account files, but I’ve scoured the internet and found nothing on where these files are located, or whether it would even work.

This would actually be a nice feature even on Mobile MetaMask. Even though I won’t be able to make transactions on these hardware wallets, I would at least be able to check status on DeFi sites with hardware wallet accounts.

Appreciate your help in advance.

1 Like

You cannot transfer metamask data from one system to another :smile: that’s not how it works.
You have private key your hardware wallet?

Import account:

1 Like

I could use private keys of my hardware wallets and import them to my Docker setup, but then these wallets would no longer be hardware wallets. This kinda defeats the more important purpose.

Thanks for the link to how to import account. But I already know how it works and it’s not what I’m looking for.

I do not need to sign any transactions after the initial setup. Had I had access to the machine, I could have installed / imported hardware wallet to MetaMask, then let the system run and never have to connect my hardware wallet device ever again. All I need is the account in MetaMask that is being created after a successful import. It kinda feels like a json file somewhere. But as mentioned earlier, copying the entire nkbihfbeogaeaoehlefnkodbefgpgknn directory would make MetaMask extension in destination system corrupted. Perhaps, if I knew which files to copy specifically…

It is true (it is dangerous). :smile: Exporting a key is a last resort.
I do not know what it is Docker :robot: something like VirtualBox? Does it run on any servers?

Docker is like a virtual machine run on in a development environment. This is essentially a developer’s question.

I thought it was something like that :crystal_ball: but the secure connection of hardware wallet to metamask wallet is only via cable :slightly_smiling_face: json file also contains sensitive data.

I don’t mean to be rude but you don’t seem to understand my original question. Once you have imported your hardware wallet into MetaMask, you no longer need to have your hardware wallet connected for you access DeFi sites and look things up. It’s view only, which is what I need. You ONLY need the hardware wallet again if you need to sign a transaction, which as mentioned earlier I don’t need.

I don’t want to make this into a chat thread and make it harder for someone with a solution to get an overview. Please refrain from further replies unless you understand what I’m trying to do. This is not an ordinary “how to import account with seed phrase or private key” question.

Think I’ve solved it now. Had to copy two folders for it to work:

./Extensions/nkbihfbeogaeaoehlefnkodbefgpgknn
./Local Extension Settings/nkbihfbeogaeaoehlefnkodbefgpgknn

Case solved.

1 Like

Yeah this is not a common question :grin: and you put it in the support section. You put it in the wrong section.

Sorry 'bout that. I’m a noob here :slight_smile: Case closed anyways.

1 Like

I forgive you :rofl: have good day.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.