Login using seed phrase but accounts gone

Hi all

It seems that many of us are experiencing the same issues where the accounts that hold our precious tokens are gone somehow after logging in using seed phrase. Can anyone who has successfully recovered the account please help me? I tried using danfinlay github account generator using the same seed phrase and it generated two different sets of accounts on two different occasions. It seems like there is a bug. I have messaged the support team yesterday but there has not been any response yet. Please help. Thank you.

3 Likes

Hey @Reagansie, welcome to the MetaMask community! :fox_face:

Thank you for submitting a ticket to our support team, they will be with you as soon as they can.

Please make sure you are inputting your Secret Recovery Phrase correctly for the correct account you are trying to access.

Here is some more information on our Knowledge Base that may help you:

1 Like

Hi @nakedwinnie thank you for your prompt response. I tried doing that and I have made sure to input the correct one already. I did not create any other account that use a seed phrase therefore I am confident that I did not make a mistake in this sense. A few weeks ago, I also did login twice using the secret recovery phrase that I used before depositing any coin. I have used the danfinlay github to generate account, I tried on both occasion and it came out different result. I have recorded the video doing it. I tried every method that you shared but unfortunately, I am still unable to recover my accounts. Please advise. Thank you.

Sorry to hear the issue still persists :frowning:

The support team will be with you as soon as they can, thank you for your patience!

You can also try using the Vault Decryptor, and that may help. Here is more information on our Knowledge Base:

Yeh but the private says invalid. I restored my account with seed phrase but apperently the old address that has all my stuff needs a private key

@Carlh93, this is likely because the address you are trying to access was an imported account.

The imported account has a different Secret Recovery Phrase. If you have that account’s private key or the Secret Recovery Phrase, you should be able to recover that account.

Here is more information on our Knowledge Base:

I only have seed phrase, not private key. Metamask really gotta help me out man, this problem is happening to 10+ people daily who never had private key but have seed phrase.

1 Like

If you have the Secret Recovery Phrase for the account you have imported, then you are able to recover the account you are trying to access.

Yeh I do, but then when i type it in it opens up a different wallet address… it shows all my ETH transactions but coins aren’t there, its a different address.

2 Likes

If your phrase opens up a different wallet address then unfortunately it is not the correct phrase for the address you are trying to access.

Please make sure you are inputting the correct Secret Recovery Phrase in the correct order. Here is more information on our Knowledge Base:

:joy::rofl: it is though, where else would I of got this seed phrase

It could be a phrase from a different wallet, or the phrase may not be written in the correct order. For example, typing the words you have written down in a row when the correct order is in a column.

Nah it definitely works the right order because it opens up the wallet but then its a different address. And I don’t have the private key for it. There must be a way to be able to get it back, I seriously need your help :frowning:

2 Likes

You can try using the Vault Decryptor to make sure you have the correct Secret Recovery Phrase for the wallet address you are trying to access:

It may also be that you’re looking for an additional account in the wallet, in which cause you need to “Create Account”

Here’s what I had to do. I used my seedphrase and it also opened up the wrong wallet with nothing in it. So I hit import, used my same seedphrase, and it came back. I’ve had to do this twice and I’m not sure why this is the case, but it works every time. In the JSON file paste your seedphrase on import. See if that works.

1 Like