Transaction completion hanging with "spinning wheel"

When I approve a transaction in MetaMask it sporadically stops responding. Sometimes the transactions complete without a hitch, but other times MetaMask just hangs with a spinning wheel animation. If you X out of the hung MetaMask window you can usually move on to the next transaction in your life, but sometimes all subsequent transactions that were batched together halt and you have to set them up again.

After closing out of the hung MetaMask window you can check the transaction log and typically the transaction shows as completed and confirmed. It almost feels like something is not signaling back to the MetaMask progress UI window that the transaction is confirmed.

Sometimes I have noticed very long wait times while MetaMask is estimating Gas fees. I’m not sure if this is related, but it seems to be a potential symptom of the problem.

I have also noticed hung responses when switching networks in MetaMask. You select a different network and MetaMask just sits there unresponsive. If you click the extension icon in the Browser and “refresh”, the new network shows as if it was always there in the background. I think this another example of MetaMask not getting a signal to refresh the UI.

Symptom Analysis
Onset: This has started happening recently, within the last 2 weeks.
Provocation: It seems to be related to multiple transactions batched up at once or when waiting to be queued. I have also noticed this on just a single MetaMask transaction as well as batched transactions. When the spinning wheel comes up I can X out of the MetaMask window and the transaction shows as complete in the log, but I don’t get a notification from MetaMask (via the Windows notification service) that the transaction completed or failed. Other users have reported that rolling back to a previous version of MetaMask (v10.24.0) has improved functionality, but causes other problems with dApps.
Quality: MetaMask will hang indefinitely with a spinning animated wheel.
Radiation: This affects MetaMask on Multiple blockchains (Klaytn, DFK Chain) with multiple RPC servers, Mainnet, POKT, and private POKT RPC services.
Severity: I would rate this at an 8/10 (severe). It is debilitating to most dApps and other transaction grouping services. For individual transactions you can kind of just click through it, but it is painfully annoying. Once you X out of the MetaMask window you can usually continue on with the next transaction in the batch, but sometimes not. Sometimes you need to re-batch the transactions. Generally the spinning animation will sit and spin indefinitely until you close the UI window.
Time: Once you X out of the MetaMask window you can usually continue on with the next transaction in the batch, but sometimes not. Sometimes you need to re-batch the transactions. Generally the spinning animation will sit and spin indefinitely until you close the UI window.

2 Likes

Thanks for the detail! Can you confirm a few things?

• Extension or mobile? If mobile is it iOS or Android?

• What version of MM are you using

• What browser are you using (is it most up to date version of it?)

When it’s stuck, are you cross checking the txID on blockchain explorer and it seems to go through?

Thanks again for the details!

I’ve been using the MetaMask browser extension on Chrome and Edge. Both chrome and Edge are up to date.
Chrome: 110.0.5481.178 (Official Build) (64-bit)
Edge: 110.0.1587.57 (Official build) (64-bit)

I have 3 different PCs to check and verify but I know I have seen it on all three of them one time or another.

MetaMask: 10.25.0

After it sticks, I can just look in the MetaMask logs and see the transaction completed. Many times I do not get a windows notification from MetaMask about the transaction completion, but it shows complete in the log. This is what is making me think there is some sort of signaling from the transaction to the MetaMask UI that is failing. MetaMask sees the transaction is complete, but it just doesn’t update the UI. The UI just spins until I close the window.

Let me know what other deatils you want. I did capture a video on my other PC showing the transaction completion and the MetaMask UI not detecting the completion. I’ll find a way to give you a link to it.

–j

2 Likes

Thanks a ton for the details. Would you please contact support regarding this?

support.metamask.io > Start a Conversation > answer a few chatbot questions to get connected. Support will never ask for you to provide of verify your private keys or Secret Recovery Phrase.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.