Transaction stuck in MM but not actually sent?

This issue happens to me quite frequently using MetaMask in Chrome: I send a transaction with a gas fee higher than necessary, and then it shows as pending in MetaMask. But the transaction never goes through. If I then click on the link in MetaMask to the actual transaction on the blockchain, it shows me a page with the transaction details including the transaction hash. But if I look directly at my address in a block explorer, the transaction is not there. So to me, it looks like MetaMask has not actually sent it. And now the transaction just sits there and blocks me from doing anything else. Even clicking on ‘Speed Up’ or sending a 0 ETH transaction to myself with the same nonce and a higher fee doesn’t work. Nothing changes if I do so.

The only way I have found to get out of it, is to go to different browser and redo the transaction there. When I then go back to Chrome, the stuck transaction has now been dropped. Why is this happening? How can MetaMask have a link to the transaction with a transaction hash when the transaction itself is not found on the blockchain? And why does sending a 0 ETH transaction to myself with the same nonce and a higher fee not work?

Consider resetting your account. Read here before doing so: https://support.metamask.io/hc/en-us/articles/360015488891-How-to-clear-your-account-activity-reset-account

Also if you are comfortable sharing your address then I can look up which TX’s are pending.

1 Like

Hi, I have reset MM a few times in the past. But since it’s such a drastic measure, I prefer not to do it unless absolutely necessary. And I don’t think it’s the solution to the problem mentioned. Because after I fix the issue by making the same transaction in another browser, everything works again. So it has to be something, like a bug, in MetaMask. Because since the transaction is not showing up on the blockchain, it looks like it was never sent. Even if MetaMask itself links to a page with the transaction hash.

Sharing may address won’t help since the transaction in question is not showing there. Even after I fixed it and MetaMask shows that the transaction has been dropped, there is no dropped transaction on the blockchain. Because it was never there.

Please reach out to MetaMask Support.

• Visit : https://support.metamask.io/

• Click the large blue “start a conversation” bubble in the upper middle of page, looks like this:

• This will connect you to a bot at first, answer some questions and it will open a ticket for you with an agent.

Remember - NOBODY, including from support, will ask for your secret recovery phrase or for you to input it onto any website for confirmation.

2 Likes

OK, thanks. I’ll do that.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.