About 60.000 USD worth of tokens stuck in liquidity pools due to MetaMask glitch

On the morning of 30 April I was browsing the internet when I inadvertently deleted my MetaMask extension from the Firefox browser menu. Later that day, I tried to get back on my MetaMask account, just to find out I had to reinstall it. After putting in my 12 seed phrase, I realized that the Account Address was no longer the same, and so my tokens didn’t show up any longer. I immediately sent an email to the technical support and received an automated reply that said the team will contact me in at most 7 days, due to high number of enquiries. To make sure, I left two subsequent requests the next day and two days after. Today it is 10 May and I’m still to hear back from them. In the meantime, I tried a million things. I also went on the MetaMask community site and found out I wasn’t the only one in this position. What’s worse, I have about 60.000 USD worth of tokens placed in several liquidity pools and can’t access them any longer. Imagine if I accrued impermanent loss on any of these pools, without being able to do anything about it… Thank goodness I have other means of subsistence while waiting for some kind of conclusion to this, but what if I didn’t ?? Some of these posts date back to 2019. How is it possible to still have this issue 2 years later with a platform that deems itself to be the best hot wallet out there ? Attached you will find print screens to prove of all the above.
As a business owner, I’ve been dealing for years with other platforms such as PayPal, Transferwise or Revolut and MetaMask could learn a thing or two from them.

2 Likes

Hey man, i have the same issue, i did a password reset with my seed phrase and now i cannot access my tokens, i have open tickets but nothing is being done by meta mask, please keep me updated with any progress you make! hopefully you recover your tokens fast.

Same issue…the Account Address was no longer the same after recovery with seed…

Sure thing. At least I figured to what it is due. When you open it in different browsers, it would open with different account addresses. Hence it’s important to write down your private key. That would help you recover your address at any time.

Hi Cris,
Sadly I ran into the exact same problem.
Haven’t managed to fix it yet: I haven’t got private key or JSON for the individual wallets.
Lost access to LP’s…
Did you find a solution in the end?
Best,

Did anyone get this issue resolved I’m having the same problem have been given a different wallet address

Hi everyone,

No, I have a recovery company working on it at the moment. Will update with the outcome. Thanks.

Hey have you reached any resolution with this? Has the recovery company been able to help? I’ve lost a large sum to this metamask bug and am still trying to figure out how to recover. Generating new account numbers has not been able to produce a wallet that has the address I’m looking for.

Hi, I’m having the same issue, so same question here!

ANy updates on how to recover old address?

No, no answer that could recover my tokens. But hey, all is fine, MetaMask is still the first wallet out there and they’re making millions. Why should they care about you and me ?!

:dizzy:

Guide: “Find the lost account” (from a real case)

I have experienced the same issue, meaning after reinstalling the extension and importing wallet with usual seed phrase a new Account 1 (without funds, of course) shoemphasized textwed up. I was able to get back to my Account with funds as the bug happened again (lucky I was!) and the usual seed phrase allowed me to connect to the right Account 1 on another chrome session.

After two months of research, I found on my device a seed phrase to which my Account 1 with funds really belons. I have never seen/used this seed phrase before.

I developed step by step guide how to search this hidden seed phrase (the vault data of it is in ‘broken’ format).

:heartpulse: I really hope it would help! :heartpulse:
You can find this guide on github issue 3127. :point_down:

Please, feel free to leave your feedback! :point_down:

• I found the pryvate key! Lost account recovered! :grinning:
  • I found the pryvate key, but it was not right one for my lost account :roll_eyes:
  • I found the "hidden" seed phrase following “Guide 2” :+1: Lost account recovered!
  • I found the “hidden” seed phrase following “Guide 3” :+1: Lost account recovered!
  • I found the vault data in “broken” format, but was not able to decrypt it :cry:

0 voters

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing @MomOfTwins,

The MetaMask team is currently validating the guide. Any links in this thread have not been validated yet, please follow guides or download files with caution until a fix has been confirmed, ie “use at your own risk” for now.

1 Like

Thank you @nakedwinnie for walidating this post ! Hope it will help users ! :handshake:

So, is it safe to use this guide? I’m experiencing the same problem with my Metamask after recovery.

1 Like

Hi!
Prior to use this guide you could try the official guide My Secret Recovery Phrase restored the wrong account – MetaMask (zendesk.com)

You could also try How to use the Vault Decryptor with the MetaMask Vault Data – MetaMask (zendesk.com)

In the guide I have provided the main tools are :

• Vault Decryptor (oficial MetaMask tool)
  • Atom (suggested by MetaMask in “How to use the Vault Decryptor”)
  • AstroGrep - program which searches within files for keywords, only one that is not suggested by MetaMask.

So if you use it offline, like suggested in official “How to use the Vault Decryptor” thread, there should be no risk.

As I mentioned, I was able to get to my account with funds just because the issue happened again on my device (Account 1 with funds appeared using my usual seed phrase under another Chrome session, while under usual Chrome session the Account 1 was different with the same seed phrase). It was random/lucksolution”.

Not being able to accept such randomness, and wondering “What if I would not have thatluck”?” I had been continuing searching the explanations. That is how I found the seed phrase to which the Account 1 with funds really belongs and developed the “Guide”. I though it was important to share it with users experiencing the same issue (I know what the feeling is)

By the way, somebody in this topic voted that he/she found the private key and lost account was recovered! I would really appreciate if you share your experience! :grinning:Thank you!

1 Like

Blockquote it extremly dangerous thing if you tell you secret to another

Blockquote