Cannot Create New Account - Duplicates Existing Account (Even with Fresh Install)

Seem to have encountered a nasty bug. I have tried a handful of times to create a new account in my MM wallet and it keeps duplicating an existing account (Fiat Transfers, shown below) in the account selector view.

However the concerning issue is that on a fresh install of MM extension in Chrome, an attempt to create a new account imports that same existing account…even though no private key was entered to import it.

I have updated Windows, Google Chrome, cleared browser cache, reset MM account, and uninstalled/reinstalled MM extension.

Windows 11
Google Chrome Version 102.0.5005.63

Screenshot 2022-05-25 091437
Create new account results in duplicated account in account selector view

Screenshot 2022-05-25 090719
Fresh install of MM, create new account text is greyed out but still allows entry

Screenshot 2022-05-25 091637
Fresh install of MM, create new account imports existing account (Fiat Transfers) without private key being entered

Hi @DannyBrown ,

When you are reinstalling MetaMask, are you using your same Secret Recovery Phrase to load the wallet?

If the answer is yes to above, was the ‘Fiat Transfers’ address an actual imported account or did you create this address by clicking “create account” within MetaMask like in the screenshot below -

Sharing two links below. One reviews in detail that all accounts created in your original wallet can be added back in after restoring with your Secret Recovery phrase. 2nd article goes into detail of what is an imported account.

Let us know if this doesn’t help or if you have more questions; thanks!

2 Likes

As far as the double account name issue goes, is the actual public address on each account the same or are they different and just the name doubled?

Thanks!

1 Like

Hi, yes I am using the Secret Recovery Phrase for the “Main Wallet” (shown in first screenshot) when reinstalling and then adding my other accounts via import.

The “Fiat Transfers” account that is duplicating was originally created last year within MetaMask via the Create Account function.

I have verified that the public address is the same on the duplicated account, it is not simply duplicating in name only. The account is being imported without a private key or JSON when attempting to Create Account on a fresh install of MetaMask using the Secret Recovery Phrase for “Main Wallet” in the first screenshot.

Thanks for the reply.

1 Like

Hi @DannyBrown ,

thanks for the detailed response, super helpful!

Regarding the ‘Fiat Transfers’ wallet, it makes sense this gets pulled in when you restore the full account. Since this address was created within MetaMask, it would not need a private key to get imported or recreated. Your Secret Recovery Phrase recovers all addresses that were created within that MetaMask wallet originally.

What would not get reinstalled are imported accounts, which doesn’t sound like applies to this situation.

Let us know if you have any questions relating to this, thanks!

1 Like

Regarding the double accounts, would you please reach out to MetaMask help desk regarding this? They’ll need to get your state logs. Here is an article from the MetaMask Knowledge Base how you can download these: https://metamask.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360015290092-How-to-download-state-logs

To submit a ticket, please visit https://metamask.zendesk.com/hc/en-us and click the ‘start a conversation’ blue square bubble towards the right-upper-middle of page. This will at first connect you with a bot which will either link you with a live agent or submit a ticket on your behalf.

The reason it’s best for you to submit the ticket is so they can get your state logs but also have communication directly with you since you are experiencing the issue.

Remember, MetaMask will never ask you for your Secret Recovery Phrase. or send you a direct message

Thank you again for your responses. Let us know if you have further questions!

1 Like

Hmm, using the Secret Recovery Phrase only recovers the original “main” account, it is the only account that populates when I do a fresh install. Is there a way to import the other accounts without using private keys?

hi @DannyBrown ,

Yep, see this article. When you hit ‘create account’ it adds back in the accounts in the same order.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.