Firefox Vault access

Hi i am in need of desperate help please

I am encountering the white screen of death in my Metamask extension on Firefox and the backup seed phrase I thought I had for this wallet was wrong - so i need to urgently recover my vault file from Firefox on Macbook

the only instructions i can find (how to use vault decryptor instructions on Metamask website) doesnt work for me as when following those steps it just loads another white screen in the browser window.

In that window if i right click to view console i also cant type any commands in, it just says "Content Security Policy - the page settings blocked the loading of a resource at eval’

please let me know if there is anything else i can do here

note - i have not uninstalled/reinstalled Metamask on Firefox so I’m hoping I still have all the original wallet info somewhere in a system folder.

i have got as far as finding and backing up a folder called ‘moz-extension+++ ____________’ which includes a .sqlite file , would this be of any help?

thank you in advance
Matt

2 Likes

one other interesting observation
~ when i go to Uniswap in Firefox the page doesnt load. its just the background and no buttons / forms

~ going to uniswap on Chrome where i installed the new Metamask profile works fine though.

so for whatever reason on Firefox i cannot access my Metamask extension or load Uniswap’s page properly.

I also tried Opensea and a few other sites i regularly connect my Metamask to and they do not work with Firefox anymore (although pages load fully unlike Uniswap)

update is I’ve managed to enter the below into the console but it didnt return any data

chrome.storage.local.get(‘data’, result => {
var vault = result.data.KeyringController.vault
console.log(vault)
})

i have also backed up my ‘moz-extension’ folders that were in the Firefox storage folder, how do i go about deciphering the files in here to access what i need for the Vault Decryptor website?

any help would be very appreciated

thanks again

1 Like

Did you ever get any luck with this? The instructions to get the vault do not seem to work for firefox as it assumes it is a chrome based browser. What was the sqllite file named that you found?

1 Like

hello, I’m stuck in the same situation.
I made diligently daily backup of my ‘moz-extension+++ ____________’ folder.
Now that my laptop hdd has broken I need to use these data to restore.

However, I discovered that simply copy-paste the content of the folder is not sufficient.
In fact, the sqlite files within the folder contains the code of the folder itself.

E.g. in my case there are two folder for MetaMask. For the sake of simplicity and security I report here an example of the folders just created and almost empty:

moz-extension+++ ABCDE12345
moz-extension+++ ABCDE12345^userContextId=987654321

located in:

c/Users/myuser/AppData/Roaming/Mozilla/Firefox/Profiles/myprofile.default-release/storage/default/

the content of the first folder is:

$ ls -lR
.:
total 8
drwx------+ 1 myuser myuser 0 Feb  8 19:02 idb
drwx------+ 1 myuser myuser 0 Feb  8 16:33 ls

./idb:
total 48
drwx------+ 1 myuser myuser     0 Feb  8 18:56 <hidden number><hidden text>.files
-rwx------+ 1 myuser myuser 49152 Feb  8 18:56 <hidden number><hidden text>.sqlite

./idb/<hidden number><hidden text>.files:
total 0

./ls:
total 9
-rwx------+ 1 myuser myuser 6144 Feb  8 16:33 data.sqlite
-rwx------+ 1 myuser myuser   12 Feb  8 16:33 usage

and the content of the latter is

$ ls -lR
.:
total 4
drwx------+ 1 myuser myuser 0 Feb  8 22:13 idb

./idb:
total 96
drwx------+ 1 myuser myuser     0 Feb  8 16:33 <'another hidden number><another hidden text string>.files
-rwx------+ 1 myuser myuser 98304 Feb  8 22:13 <another hidden number><'another hidden text string>.sqlite

./idb/<another hidden number><another hidden text string>.files:
total 0

The problem is this: analyzing these sqlite files, they have inside the DB itself the code ABCDE12345 of the foldername, which is a total mess. So we can’t simply copy-paste the content of my backup in these folders. Neither I can reverse-engineer the DB , nor replace these data. Simply I can’t keep shooting in the dark anymore.

For the sake of the reader: let’s say I have my secret MetaMask password, I have the 24 secret words. This is not the problem.

The problem is losing the bunch of configuration I had in MetaMask: something such as 15+ subaccounts, each with multiple networks and tokens, for a total of 70+.
It would be impossible to rebuild all of it. Without these information most of the value of the wallet is lost.

I made daily backup of the MetaMask data folder, but I didn’t expect it impossible to re-use!
Ouch, it hurts!:frowning:
Any hint please?

@msb1 did you manage it somehow?
In case you didn’t yet would we join our efforts for a bounty program on it?

update: not a definitive solution, but getting quite closer.
Steps:

1. reinstall firefox+metamask on a different computer
  2. expand metamask in a tab. In the url you’ll see the random-generated extension ID (" ABCDE12345" in my example above). Let’s say the one I got from my backup and I want to restore with all its data is ‘FGHIJK6789’
  3. go to the file prefs.js located in
c/Users/myuser/AppData/Roaming/Mozilla/Firefox/Profiles/myprofile.default-release/prefs.js

Change the newly created random code with the one of the folder you backed up. In order to do so:
4) close Firefox
5) even if the window of Firefox is closed it does not mean it’s closed. It’s a Windows optimization. Go to CTRL+ALT+CANC, search for Firefox and kill it.
5) Just open with any editor the prefs.js and do search-and-replace.
On Linux just use the command sed:

sed -i 's/new-random-code/the-random-code-of-your-backup/g' prefs.js

therefore, in this example

sed -i 's/ABCDE12345/FGHIJK6789/g' prefs.js
  1. restart Firefox

Now the metamask page is the one of the folder you backed up.
Not the final solution yet, but getting quite close.

1 Like

Hey @Pee2ro can you tell me about pref.js file like is the vault data stored in that file or not?

Hi @Skullcrusher Vault data is stored in a folder
C:\Users\XXXX\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\XXXXXXX.default-release\storage\default\moz-extension+++XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXX-XXX^userContextId=XXXXXX

In this folder search file with number. My file is 709 :point_down:

4de8ba15ff4a7eedd15d035b980315d18fc403f0

See my guide:

If you have more questions. You can contact me on telegram: Telegram: Contact @Luigi_SK

2 Likes

Thank you for the reply i found the file and my SRP great job man

1 Like

@Skullcrusher I am glad that my instruction helps :slightly_smiling_face:

ff9b5c41c58fb46c189cb6e86f1a3d84

3 Likes