Is Metamask really safe?

Is MetaMask really safe ? I don’t think so…
About a month ago , I had to make a transaction on Harmony blockchain ( a really cheap blockchain )
But when I saw the abnourmous high gas fees, I decided to click "Reject " to cancel the transaction.
But the transaction started all the same : 0 cents as transaction amount but about 90 Usdt, as gas fees.
I received no help from MetaMask support " It’s not our fault … You had to check earlyer the gas fees… ,
I suggested them that there is ,perhaps ,a bug in the program… (No answer from support)
Conclusion: If you are a newbie (as I am) DON’t use MetaMask or Do take it with a grain of salt, (very carefully-)–

15 Likes

Hello ,@ demosth welcome to metamask community

MetaMask is currently the wallet with the most users in the cryptocurrency field and the most concentrated

12 Likes

Hello there :slight_smile:

Every network requires gas to execute transactions. When you send tokens, interact with a contract, or do anything else on the blockchain, you must pay for that computation. That payment is calculated in gas, and gas is always paid in the network’s native token. Also these gas fees are paid to the network that executes those transactions, and not MetaMask. You can also check the current gas fees on each network’s gas tracker (they fluctuate quite a lot, depending how busy the network is).
And for more information on this issue, feel free to check this article → User guide: gas

Have a great day ahead!

11 Likes

Hi @demosth ,

When this happened, can you confirm you submitted a help desk ticket through the ‘start a conversation’ option on the home page?

7 Likes

I’m trying to think rationally.
When I saw the abnourmous gas fees and I clicked "Reject " if this action was unsuccesfull (or belated ), I would’nt had stopped anything and the transaction amount would have been that one initially planned. Instead, the amount was 0 (zero) but transaction gas fees were about 90 usdt.!!
I think there is a possible bug in metamask
But Metamask support doesn’t help me. They say : It’s not possible, we are the best ones ( We are the champions) !

9 Likes

Hi @demosth ,

Would like to know if you submitted an actual help desk ticket through the live support feature that’s on support.metamask.io when this happened?

It’s the blue button that reads ;‘start a conversation;’ like below -

4 Likes

Yes I submitted a ticket to Metamask support

Here is an example:
“Your request (853888) was updated. To add additional comments, reply to this email.”

But now, They say, the ticket is solved !?!

5 Likes

Got it, so it looks like you clicked reject after clicking the confirmation message first - this would cause the transaction to still go through.

7 Likes

I need some minutes , to check…

5 Likes

I can’ t answer, now.
I’m using a different laptop,only today ,and I can’t orient myself.
I will check tomorrow, by my usual laptop.

I only, remember now that I clicked on :

Need help? ContactMetaMask Support

at the base of my Metamask wallet and the ticket was number 853888

I will check, better, tomorrow…Thanks!

4 Likes

I think it’s impossible to click Confirm , and then , Reject…
Is it possible ?

4 Likes

Once you initially click confirm, even clicking ‘reject’ afterwards would not work.

6 Likes

Has there been any updates on this? You’re not the first to experience this problem, unfortunately. The short answer is: yes and no. Metamask is generally ok. However, there are nuances with web3 in general that can trip people. For example, once a transaction has gone through, there isn’t any way to back out. You could send another transaction with the same nonce and hope for the best or click “reject” although that depends on what MetaMask actually does behind the scenes. I just hope you didn’t lose too much on the gas fees. It’s the wild west and there is plenty of space for improvement.

4 Likes

Hey @Jenniferjen ,

When a user tries to cancel from the transaction queue list after the transaction was already signed, rejecting is not always possible; sometimes it’s already gone through on the blockchain. This is not a bug, it’s a situation where the transaction was approved.

for anyone curious, when pressing the cancel button check to see if the transaction is already pending in the blockchain explorer this way before going through to try and cancel -

5 Likes

Thanks for your answers.
I remember that I only clicked “REJECT” ; I didn’t click " CONFIRM"
Gas fees were abnourmously high : 750 Harmony One (about 85 or 90 Usdt on those days , before the present
collapse of virtual currencies ) (0 was transaction amount…)
I think that , from now on, I will use metamask as little as possible…

6 Likes

Hi @demosth ,

I know this isn’t Harmony, but, when you were on this page below were you on mobile? Figure the visual would help get the details, is this where you hit reject? Sorry if you’re repeating things but just want to confirm I’m following correctly. Thanks!

5 Likes

I think it’s safe ,We can discuss widely:partying_face:

5 Likes

I’m using a laptop and I’m quite certain that I only clicked on REJECT…
But , I want to forget this bad experience, now…
Thanks you all, very much…

5 Likes

Thank you for responding. Honestly was asking just to understand which device and possibilities. The question was genuine in trying to help or troubleshoot.

7 Likes

Finally finding others talking about the site being safe, but more importantly, hearing that there is way to contact Metamask or any kind of support. Can anyone please tell me how to get in touch with anyone from Metamask?

I opened my account, transfered funds from coinbase to Meta mask and bought some NFT’s. After looking at my transactions, I noticed that Metamask was taking much more out of my account than needed. And yes I included gas fees.

We tired looking for any kind of support with no luck. I had a remaining balance of around $1200 in the account. I went back into my account about a week later and it was down to $21.00.
I understand that I could have been hacked, but that does not explain why the site took much more from my account than needed when actually buying the NFT’s.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

8 Likes