Is Metamask really safe?

Hello @TDub315 and welcome to MetaMask community!

You can get the support you require here and if need be, we can help and guide you to contact MetaMask LivePerson support directly.

As far as your issue goes, i want to ask if you have checked your wallet for suspicious activity on a blockchain explorer until now?

Here’s an article on how to do that, and please let me know if there’s any activity or address you don’t recognize, where your missing funds might have been sent to, so i can guide you further.

7 Likes

I read a lot before using MM :eyes:. So far I’ve been lucky, I haven’t had any problems using it. :grinning:

11 Likes

Chinzilla,
I’ll need to speak to my so about what we’ve done to find out what’s happened. All I know is that I have every transaction, including the gas fees that was sent from my coinbase account, to Metamask and then the purchases through Metamask. We invested around 10K but realized that Metamask was taking out much more than what the NFT and gas fees actually cost.
I then had a balance of around $1200 in my Metamask account. It would fluctuate based on the worth of Ethereum. Then I went into my account one day and there was only $21 in the account. So we have about 10K worth of investments out of the 15K we actually added to the Metamask account. We are missing right around 5K.
Im investing with my 16 year old son. So as you can expect, he is crushed. It took him a long time to save and earned that money. So it means a great deal to us to find that money and have it returned.
To be honest, I wont let him sell anything we have invested if it has to go into our Metamask account. I don’t trust that Ill see any of that money again.

I will send another email with more specifics once my son is available.
I do appreciate your response very much. Thank you.

6 Likes

That’s great! I also did a lot of reading. There is a one particular article that helped me on how to avoid being hacked Common scams and how to avoid them

5 Likes

Thanks for link. I’ll go read.

4 Likes

Hi @TDub315 ,

Keep in mind nobody will ever ask for your secret recovery phrase, including support. You also should never verify it on a website or a pop-up window (no matter how legit it looks). These are all possible scams.

Hard to know the exact reason and so you don’t compromise your online identify you can go through contacting our Help Desk agents support.metamask.io , click the blue ‘start a conversation’ bubble towards the upper-mid right of page. It will connect you with a bot initially but you will get connected with an agent soon after.

Possibly though, could the price of your NFTs have gone down and that is where the difference is coming into play? MetaMask doesn’t receive anything from NFT purchases.

5 Likes

Thank you for your response.
We have never verified or shared our recovery phrase with anyone.
This is how we noticed something wrong. For example One of the NFT’s was 2k including gas prices. We submit the payment to buy it. Once we bought it, we realized it took out $900 more than what it should have taken out of the account.
I have all of the transactions from coinbase going into Metamask… I have the total of them all. We were, what seems to be, overcharged close to 4k through 4 NFT purchases. The remainder of around $1,200.00 was left in the Metamask account. It fluctuated based on Ethereum. Ethereum had actually gone up a bit so I checked the account and there was then only 21.00 left in the account.

I realize my account could have been hacked, but that wouldnt explain why we were over charged for our NFT’s when we bought them.

Not sure if that helps at all. I will try to contact support like you suggested. Thank you for your help.

6 Likes

Hello, I am sorry for what happened to your account.
Are you sure that the NFT with which you have interacted was safe? You possibly interacted with a malicious contract. If you provide your wallet public address via the Help Desk, they can take a look at it.
Since it it better not to share the wallet address for such a case in public, therefore, I have changed my response.

7 Likes

I really want to believe that MetaMask is safe. We just have to carefully store the seed phrase and not go to unsafe sites at all

4 Likes

the team is Working hard to improve the MetaMask experience, I think it will get better and better

3 Likes

Hey @Hugorealstar
Of course, you are welcome! Glad we were able to help here. You can also check the MetaMask knowledge base when you have some spare time, there are lots of great articles you can find there:
https://metamask.zendesk.com/hc/en-us

1 Like

That seems like a pretty asinine configuration don’t you think?

1 Like

Hey @Lgbtlove, this is because all transactions on the blockchain are irreversible, so once a transaction is confirmed it cannot be taken back.

2 Likes

But why even have a confirmation page then the option to reject? If rejecting the transaction still pushes it through? Definitely seems like something amiss here.

1 Like

The Confirm and Reject button are on the same page, rejecting meaning you would like to cancel the transaction and confirming mean you would like it to be pushed through.

4 Likes