Lost Private Key

After I logged out of MM and reopened the app, a new version replaced the old and my sub-wallets were gone. I did not export the private key. Is there another way to import sub-wallets, or find the JSON file connected to the main wallet? Are my fund lost?

Hello and welcome to the MetaMask community,
If you have access to the main account and the sub accounts are under the same Secret Recovery Phrase as the main one, then you just need to add new accounts until you reach the account you want.
The following link can help you as well.

2 Likes

How so? I need the private key to add sub-accounts, even though the initial account I created was not imported originally. I have the seed phrase, but not the individual sub-wallet JSON file or key. Only the main account was imported. I don not understand why all 9 of my wallets were lost, when I only logged out and back in again. A new version of MM didn’t recognize my password.

2 Likes

I am asking ways to recover the accounts without the original means of import.

1 Like

I have asked you whether you have access to the main account? If yes and if the sub accounts are related to the main account, then the link I shared above helps you.
" When you restore a wallet from the Secret Recovery Phrase, only the default account (Account 1) will be restored automatically first. But don’t worry: this does not mean that tokens you had in your additional accounts are irretrievable. You simply need to re-add the additional accounts until you have the ones you want."

2 Likes

Thank you, I will try the process again. It seems like it is adding accounts that don’t match my previous ones.

1 Like

Please check the sub accounts on a relevant block explorer to make sure that they are not empty. “If you still do not see the addresses you were looking for, they were probably created with a different Secret Recovery Phrase, or you had an imported account that you still need to reimport using private keys or JSON.”

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.