Metamask account suddenly gone! Can i still recover my funds?

How did you download all these files exactly in this map?

Update:
Ok downloaded the files!

When you install ethereum-cryptography
the folder node_modules and two .json files will be added.

But now it shows me another error :see_no_evil:

2 Likes

I installed ethereum-cryptography and see the the folder node_modules and two .json files on my computer.

I still get the ‘MODULE_NOT_FOUND’ error.

Should the folders all be in the same map?

• Edit:
    I get the ‘MODULE_NOT_FOUND’ error after i opened cmd and entered " node recoverFunds.js / node recoverFunds_brute.js "

You have to have it like this :point_down: all in this folder

4 Likes

Thanks, i have every thing the same now as you set up here.

• Edit:
    When i run the recoverfunds.js scripts, i get the exact error as earlier. (Module_not_found).

However, i didn’t change the parameters yet according to my situation. (address/phrase etc.)

I see the RecoverFund files are javascript. Just a noob idea: but would it be possible to copy the code, paste it in a notepad and change the parameters?

It’s weird, it just doesn’t seem to recognize the JS file even though it’s right there in the same map.

Maybe i should downgrade Javascript to an earlier version?

1 Like

Hi @vlindersteen I’m trying it on Linux Mint 21: https://linuxmint.com/
and there the installation goes well…

How to Install Linux Mint 21 on VirtualBox:

Install Node.js and npm on Linux Mint :point_down:

sudo apt install nodejs

sudo apt install npm

How to Enable-Disable Internet in VirtualBox:

The problem is that I can’t fix this error :point_down: :see_no_evil:

I see the problem in the fact that we use the new ethereum-cryptography files
but this recoverFunds_manypaths.js file was written in 2021… needs little editing :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

Yeaaah :grin: it works :partying_face: finally hehe

I installed the old version ethereum-cryptography v0.1.3 and it works.
Using the command: npm install ethereum-cryptography@0.1.3

It found a derivation path:point_down: that I made on the site iancoleman

finding derivation paths

7 Likes

Thank you so much for taking out the time to help me Luigi.

I installed the older ethereum version and apparently my files were still not in the right folder, but after i fixed that i still don’t get a valid result. I’ve added a screenshot, maybe it’s useful for you to see if i did anything wrong.

However the MODULE_NOT_FOUND error is gone now. Hope i can take the next step to see which derivation path my address has moved to!

(btw when i run the brute_example script i get a similar screen)

• i will try the linux mint install first!

4 Likes

Hmm :thinking: you made a mistake somewhere :roll_eyes:
I would delete the entire bsc recoverfunds extension-main file :smile: and tried again and again…
But try Linux Mint 21 :slightly_smiling_face: it works perfectly on linux and it will be safer.

After the last installation command: npm install ethereum-cryptography@0.1.3 you can turn off the internet.

5 Likes

I restarted my computer and something seems to be working.

I’ve tried the regular recoverfunds.js script and it actually gave me result same as in your video!

I’m running the brute script and although it doesn’t seem to do anything, i think it’s currently loading and searching. Do you have any idea how long it could take?

1 Like

It only takes a few minutes or seconds.
I used recoverFunds_manypaths.js tries more derivation paths.

3 Likes

Hmm i’m waiting for 10 minutes but no response yet. It just stays in this screen.
wallet18

• i made a small mistake, trying it again now and letting it run for 15 minutes.

Hmmm it’s done searching and it says “address not found”.

Oh :see_no_evil: didn’t you use a passphrase to create that ETH address? Try to find another Ledger ETH address :slightly_smiling_face: just for test.

1 Like

Exactly my thoughts, the address should belong to this seed phrase.

Going to test now.

Just tried another ledger address of mine, and it immediatly finds the correct results.

This is so weird… what other options do i have now?

1 Like

Do you know if it’s possible that when i open my MetaMask and go to the “my accounts” tab, that it could show let’s 5 addresses of which 1 address has a different seed phrase than the others? (except for the Ledger address)

If yes, it’s very weird because i never created any new wallet within MetaMask. I just have 2 seed phrases in total, one for my cold wallet (ledger) and one for my hot wallet (MetaMask).

• also by passphrase it doesn’t mean my MetaMask password right?

My head is really cracking and i’m running out of ideas…

What i’m thinking of now is:

Could it be that sometime years ago i created an address on my ledger, using a different seed phrase, which i might have forgotten or something. Never updated ledger live and firmware until last week (after i noticed this problem).
And then something went wrong trying to bridge my ledger to my MetaMask, because of the old ledger firmware not connecting properly or whatever and it’s better for me this has ever happened take the painful loss and move on?

I really don’t know what to do anymore.

I don’t know :see_no_evil: I am disappointed and I don’t have any other ideas at the moment.

Passphrase is this:

5 Likes

I’m going to leave it for now i think. I’ve been trying to solve this issue for the past week full-time and i’m really done with it.

I want to give great thanks to you Luigi, you’ve really made effort to help me but it seems like it’s better to leave this problem behind. It’s not good for my health as well.

All the best to you!

4 Likes

I lost my secret recovery phase, how can i recover with my Android phone.