Can't connect Ledger to Metamask - Internal JSON-RPC error

This doesn’t work for me.

MacOS / Firefox version: 88.0.1

Truly unbelievable that a fix is taking this long

Same here.

I use Ubuntu Linux and since Chrome auto-upgraded from v90 → v91 I’m having no luck using my Ledger Nano X with MetaMask. Everything was fine before.

I checked my MetaMask version is recent: 5.7.1.
I checked “Contract data is allowed” in the Ethereum app settings on the Ledger device.
I checked the ETH app on the Ledger device is up to date
I checked that the Ledger Firmware is up to date.

I do not see a “Use Ledger Live option” in Settings > Advanced.

I installed the Brave Browser but had no luck. Same results as Chrome.

The good news, is that it worked when I tried FireFox. :heavy_check_mark:
I used Firefox Browser, v88. I noticed the MetaMask Version is a bit behind (9.5.5).
With Firefox I got a bit further and MetaMask on Firefox does connect to the Ledger.
The “Transaction Approval” message does show up on the Ledger.
At first when I Approve the transaction it fails with a error message:

Transaction failed with the reason: Error: TransportStatusError: Ledger device: Condition of use not satisfied (denied by the user?) (0x6985)

But when I closed all other applications, and restarted FireFox, and tried a different transaction from the one that was failing. It went through fine. :heavy_check_mark:
I have now made several successful transactions using FireFox with MetaMask and my Ledger.

1 Like

Ledger does not connect to Firefox on MacOS.

Firefox v89.0
Metamask v9.5.5

I was able to get Firefox, MM, and Ledger to work as well. However, it does not appear that MM version 9.5.5 supports Polygon network. Has anyone been successfully in adding the Polygon network manually?

I was able to use L2 just fine with both MATIC and Optimism with Firefox!

I can confirm FireFox with MetaMask version 9.5.5 supports Polygon network. I used it on Quickswap just an hour ago.

1 Like

Yes! It works now! MetaMask has that advanced option to use with Ledger Live. That setup works great. Using latest version of Chrome too.

Thank you all, to check the status update for this issue, please refer to this Ledger Connection Issues

Still having an issue connecting the Ledger Nano S to Metamask

Versions
Ledger firmware 2.0.0

Metamask version 9.5.5 or 9.5.7
Firefox: 89.0
Chrome: 91.0.4472.77

All are still giving the “JSON-RPC” error. Firefox took me past the initial error to “Insert your security key to the USB port” >> device already connected and pin entered (tried without pin entered too)

When I click through to an application or settings it shows me two errors
“Couldn’t complete sign-in. try again and be sure to do the follow up action”
And then “Unknown Device State (Code: 1, 9, 0x8007000d)” indefinitely

Cancelling shows the JSON error

Tried rebooting, re-installing, has anyone had any luck or any useful tricks for solving this?

Please refer to the above link and update to v9.5.8

Hi guys,

I experienced this exact issue with my Ledger Nano S yesterday. Very frustrating to have to deal with… Especially if you are a yield farmer and need reliability having to sign multiple transactions per day… Pull your heads in Metamask!!!

Last Night, I Updated to newest available software on all programs/devices:

-Chrome extension update
-Ledger Device update
-Ledger Live Manager update
-Even allowed Ledger Live on Metamask which was kind of the newest/latest possible outcome… This also didn’t work for me last night… I went to bed frustrated and disenchanted !

This morning I tried again and still experienced the problem so I tried one last thing…

-Updated my IOS.

This worked. The connection between Metamask and Ledger Live can be a bit buggy still but luckily my last 5 transactions have worked.

Hope this helps someone because I got very close to losing my crypto last night…
I deleted MM extension from Chrome, being tired and not thinking…
I then in a panicked state had to search around trying to find out if I had saved my private seeds for my multiple accounts… Luckily I had, but HUGE learning lesson for me…
Do me a favour and go save those keys now and store them somewhere safe. Very scary incident…

How do I update my MM? The FAQ says that it updates automatically. But this did not happen for me.

I’ve found @Ricchi and others, I’ve found a potential solution.

I was having an issue issue where I had the ETH app open on the device, as Metamask says to do, prior to “Connecting a Hardware Wallet”

When I had the app open, and clicked, it kept going through to the JSON error.

Try backing out of the app on the device WHILE the connection is loading, this worked for me! Using Firefox for this, MetaMask 9.5.5

I’m having issues with the “auto-update” as well across all browsers @2i2l

1 Like

MetaMask finally updated to: 9.5.9 on brave Browser.

But the Problem isnt fixed…

Still got the same error, while trying to interact with a smart contract.

1 Like

I used Firefox now and it worked. So it seems like a problem with Brave/Chrome?
Hopefully they will fix it soon.

I have exactly the same problem, I did the same as you and I don’t know what to do anymore

Yep, it works that way !

1 Like

You need to activate the Ledger Live option in the advanced option of Metamask

The Ledger Live solution does not help me in any way - a request for transaction confirmation does not come to the hardware wallet. I do not know what to do, I have one such problem? (MAC/CHROME/METAMASK/LEDGER NANO X)

@PrekrasnoGaming Welcome to the MetaMask community.
Is your Ledger Live app currently open and connected to MetaMask?
There’s a Ledger Live toggle in the “Advance” setting that should be turned on as well.