The seed phrase has not been restored to my original account

@Herufer

Sadly, I do not know what is wrong neither… ! :frowning_face:

You didn’t mentioned in your issue description, which browser do you use for your MetaMask wallet? (Chrome, Edge… ?)

Another question, the device you analysed with Recuva is the same device you used to create your MetaMask wallet?

Have you ever been using this wallet on another device? (Phone, another desktop/laptop, tablet…)

And also, did you ever created any other MetaMask wallet (with different seed phrase)?

Just to shear what I understood about the issue, there is a possibility while using multiple MetaMask wallets on the same device (or even different devices but with synchronised browser extension across the devices) that an Account from one seed phrase might be imported to another seed phrase with no mention it was an imported one.

In my case it was a seed phrase I created while I was even not sure I would use any crypto. I just followed a YouTube explanation to see if it was difficult to create/use MetaMask just for fun. Of cause I never noted/saved this seed phrase (it was on Edge browser synchronised with Chrome account via an e-mail, and for some reason, probably synchronisation option, MetaMask created a nkbi… folder instead of normal folder using with Edge that folder is called ejbal….) Then, later, when I took the decision about the crypto, I used Chrome browser to create a real MetaMask wallet, and printed out the seed phrase right away. What was strange, the seed phrase was showed twice, the second time on the « black output » like this

Do not worry, it’s an empty wallet ![ :sweat_smile: There where the all problems started for me. Actually, the Account 1 that was displayed on MM never was one from that seed phrase, but from the my test wallet! I learned it much more later… it is not mentioned on GitHub and I had no time to update it there.
But it’s not all. I created an another MM wallet later, on different Chrome profile. Account 1 was right. No black screen neither. But later, the MM extension didn’t accepted the password, so I had no choice but to import the seed phrase. And here - an Account 1 from my test wallet was shown as native one for this new seed phrase.

Do you recall if you had some similar experiences while creating your wallet (black screen or seed phrase displayed multiple times) ?

The experience of another user seems to be similar. Multiple wallets and the « jumping Account 1 » from one seed to another: http://github.com/MetaMask/metamask-extension/issues/3127#issuecomment-370819730

Also, some other experiences, like

seems to match the same scenario.

4 Likes

@MomOfTwins

That’s right, I really didn’t mention what browser I use. I use Brave for crypto, Chrome for everything else. MetaMask was installed in Brave. I keep careful records of all my crypto accounts, passwords, and other necessary details, and consequently, I have not made another MetaMask wallet that I have not documented myself.

2 Likes

Hi @BT1

From your description, it seems that your situation is not that bad. In your case I think there is no worries to recover, as you probably know your seed phrase for MM wallet you initialised with Mozilla Firefox. Probably your account 2 belongs to that seed phrase. You can use this open source Ian Coleman’s BIP39 Tool. But be careful ! Offline only!

I never did it myself, but you can follow “How to get your FIO Private Key from a Seed Phrase - YouTube” https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAXdLEZFbiw or find some other explanation on how to do that.

But just to confirm that there is an issue with interaction between 2 wallets installed on the same device, could you please follow the steps in this official MetaMask guide:

How to recover your Secret Recovery Phrase – MetaMask (zendesk.com)

You would need to use the code

*chrome.storage.local.get(‘data’, result => {

var vault = result.data.KeyringController.vault

console.log(vault)

})*

on Chrome browser to retrieve the vault data and decrypt it with vault decryptor (like explained in the mentioned guide). It’s best practice to use vault decryptor offline.

What is expected, you would see your seed phrase + Simple Key Pair for account 5 (the private key). Something like this:

Keep me updated! :crossed_fingers:

4 Likes

Hi @d-minus-a5!
The I-Phone is the only device you ever used for MetaMask extension?

@Herufer. I really do not know how to help. :slightly_frowning_face: Do you use gmail on your Brave? I just wanted to know if there is a possibility that it synchronised your data across the devices. Not that this could bring an answer, but can give an idea if your problem comes from that.

2 Likes

Hi MomOfTwins!

I think u misundertood: so the thing is acc2 which didnt show up was created with acc 1 3,4 and 5 with the same seed on chrome… so how it didnt show up with these account when I tried to restore that wallet I have no idea (I created 1 MetaMask and then added 4accounts under the same seed: acc1 was the first then acc2 ->which is missing now then acc 3 then acc 4 then acc 5 was added) So when I restored this acc 1 3 and 4 shoed up (they had eth on mainnet) but acc 2 and 5 didnt. Then I manually added by “creating acc” and so this was when acc5 was restored but acc 2 wasnt… It was yesterday tho when I created another MM acc with just 1 acc on mozilla and wanted to use it as a burner wallet but this had only 1 wallet, So NO WAY that my missing “Acc2” from the chrome belongs to this new burner MM, its impossible. OR am I not getting it? Is it possible that my missing "Acc2"from the other MM will show up in the new MM when I restore that? (but that has diff seed so dont understand how its possible…)

2 Likes

Every seed phrase has an indefinite quantity of accounts associated with it, even if you never use it.

But I didn’t know you created your second wallet only yesturday…

To make thing more clear, could you follow the MetaMask guide as I mentioned befor ?

How to recover your Secret Recovery Phrase – MetaMask (zendesk.com)

It will allow you to see if there is “Simple Key Pair” or not in your vault data. It will allow you to see if there is that mentioned anomaly with “jumping private key”.

It would be great also to analyse your seed phrases with Ian Coleman’s BIP39 Tool. It will allow you to see in which order the accounts are supposed to appear in your wallets.

So, there are 2 things you can verify for now.

By the way, this user stated he created more than 100 accounts to find his lost account… :thinking:

Keep me updated!

7 Likes

Oh wow, Im not sure if I will be able to do that… Im such a noob… do u think if I send some ETH to the missing accounts Mainnet, it will show up eventually? or it wont like that way?

3 Likes

I don’t know. :woman_shrugging: Did you open a support ticket for your issue?

You need to click “Start a Conversation”.

3 Likes

not yet, will try, thx!

2 Likes

You are welcome! :crossed_fingers:

3 Likes

Hi @Herufer !

I wanted to ask also, did you try to find with Recuva the string B37a7 ? To see the vault data associated with your lost account.

Also, don’t you mind to answer the previous questions:

4 Likes

Honestly I didnt even try yet this Recuva thing as I dont even know how to start… one thing is for sure, I never used this wallet or any other wallet on any other device as I was happy I could open this one I had been using for 2+years now on my desktop under the same seed (1 account was when I first created this MetaMask obviously and then I just kept adding up to 5 total of which no2. is missing right now and I mean in chronological order and this missing no2 and no 5. which was missing as well didnt have eth on mainnet, but as I said after i manually created new account when I recovered wallet no5 eventually came up first but no2 didnt but only brand new accounts…) as Im such a noob when it comes to tech like this…

2 Likes

Hey @BT1 ,

On the account #2 that is now on your current wallet, have you tried copying the public address that appears for it and pasting into something like blockscan.com just to review if it is actually your original account #2 and tokens are on the networks you originally were using?

3 Likes

you mean the public address for the missing account (which used to be no.2.) or accno2. right now (which was no3. before)?

1 Like

#2 right now. To even open it more, would you take #1 through #5 and drop them on blockscan.com individually just to review the tokens in each? It at least can’t hurt, and super quick copy/paste.

Maybe one of them will show the tokens you had in #2.

The only way #2 wouldn’t have restored is if you had imported the account or if it was your hardware wallet. Have you ever imported an account or used a HW by any chance?

1 Like

nope, I have never imported any account or used a HW ever… thats why its super weird…

3 Likes

Hi @BT1 !

Actually, the message where I mentioned Recuva was to attention of Herufer.

Were you able to create a ticket to the support team?

Also, as you mentioned that you are not feeling comfortable using Ian Coleman’s BIP39 tool, what is also can do the same work, is to create a MEW wallet https://www.myetherwallet.com/

Once installed, you can import your usual seed phrase and add the accounts till 5.

Please, keep me updated! :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

Gotcha! If you could please try dropping the public addresses of 1-5 individually, just to see what pops up (you don’t connect, it’s just like etherscan).

Also following what @MomOfTwins suggested and submitting Help Desk ticket is good.

Try both above, let us know what happens!

1 Like

that MetaMask helpdesk is so effin unusable, cant even post… will try this myetherwallet but have to figure out the missing wallets address ofc that is the least used wallet address of mine and dont have it rn… frustrating but I appreciate both of yours help a lot! Thank you for this, Im such a noob… it wants me to install the myetherwallet, is that fine?

Hi @BT1!

Yes, it’s perfectly fine! It’s just another blockchain wallet, similar to MetaMask, but from another provider. :slightly_smiling_face:

So, when you use “ start a conversation” option nothing happens? I am not sure if I understand you well. Normally, once you click that button, you are redirected to the page, where are some questions from the bot, after answering theses questions you should be able to open a ticket… :face_with_monocle:

1 Like